Electrics & Water

Please treat these details as as examples. I know they apply to some larger flats, because I obtained the information from UHL, the developers, but I don’t know if they apply to all flats. Each flat owner was given a code for access to a database which UHL set up, which gives the precise information specific to each flat. So, to be sure of what specifically relates to your flat, you need to obtain and use that code.

Electrical supply information

I am presenting this as supplied to buyers by UHL. But it sounds a bit like boiler plate text which might apply to any apartment in any building so be careful about the detailed directions.


The meter and the cable leading to it belong to the electricity company and should not be tampered with in any way. All cables and equipment on the home side of the meter are your own responsibility as the householder.

THE WIRES LEADING FROM THE METER GO TO THE CONSUMER UNIT, FOUND IN THE HALL CUPBOARD OF YOUR APARTMENT. This unit contains the main on/off switches and a number of MCB trip switches (miniature circuit breakers), which protect individual circuits.

Written alongside each MCB is a description of the circuit it protects – power, lighting, water heater etc. MCBs have different current ratings suitable for their type of circuit, a cooker will require 30 amps, but lighting only 5 amps etc.

Fused Circuits

If a circuit fails, you should disconnect (rather than just switch off) any appliance that you think may have caused the problem. It will be obvious which circuit has been affected at the consumer unit, where the switch on the relevant MCB will be in the ‘off’ position. Switching the MCB back on should restore the circuit. To be sure that you have identified the faulty appliance, reconnect all other appliances and see if the MCB fuses again. If it does, this means there is still a faulty appliance somewhere, which you should try to locate by disconnecting all appliances and reconnecting them in turn, switching them on as you do so. If you still cannot find the fault, call an electrician, as you may, for example, have a fault inside a fitted socket or switch. Some faults are intermittent and you may find the circuit will work for a time with everything as it was. Do not keep switching the MCB. Instead, call a suitably qualified electrician to have the fault corrected. The fuses within a consumer unit are very sensitive and a loose wire, or even a light bulb blowing, can cause them to trip.


The wiring system in your new home services both appliance sockets and lighting. The wiring from switches and power points will usually run vertically up or down the wall behind the plasterboard. It is important to note that an area of at least 200mm on either side of the wiring (switch or power point) is avoided when applying fixings. It is advisable to obtain and use a suitable cable detecting device, available from most DIY stores, prior to attaching wall fixings for pictures, shelving, etc.

Water supply

The stop cock for your water meter is located in your bin store and high level.

(This information sounds a bit suspect and incomplete to me, but that’s what UHL supplied to buyers.)