Lek’s Thai Food is well worth a short walk up Whitecross Street. Lek comes from Thailand, where she learnt home-cooking on a charcoal stove from her grandmother. Lek has a van selling her home-cooked Thai food on Whitecross Market, about a 100 yards up from Waitrose on the right. These are some serious selling points:
- Everything is cooked fresh from scratch every day. What is left at the end of the day, they give away or throw away.
- Lek is fanatical about hygiene. She is one of the very few with a 5 star hygiene rating (the maximum).
- The food is absolutely delicious, and of course authentic.
- And it’s very inexpensive, since there are no restaurant premises at £30 per square foot to be paid for.
- Lek and her charming staff will help you with your choices.
You can drop by from noon, and buy yourself a pretty amazing take-away lunch to eat back in the Barbican. Or you can keep it for supper and save yourself a lot of cooking, and also avoid buying an unhealthy, processed ready-meal.
There are some real gems among the dross on Whitecross Street market, and Lek’s Thai Food is one of the brightest.